Aesthetic Ebonised Chair in the manner of Dr Christopher Dresser
An unusual Victorian Aesthetic Movement Ebonised Parlour Chair in the manner of Dr. Christopher Dresser, by Blythe & Sons, London, with oval padded back panel and circular seat.
The underside of the seat bearing an oval metal label stamped: Blythe & Sons, Manufacturers, Chiswell St., London.
Furniture makers Blyth and Sons, James Blyth and his son Duncan Nisbet Blyth, existed from 1830 to 1905. The firm's shop was located at 5-7 Chiswell Street, Finsbury Square, while factories were at Blyth Street and Bethnal Green Road, London, and Henry Street, Liverpool. The accounts and bill books of the Lord Chamberlain's Department from 1837 to 1887 record that Blyth and Sons provided upholstery to the royal family in 1880 and 1885;see Edward Joy, 'The Royal Victorian Furniture-Makers, 1837-87', The Burlington Magazine, 1969.
It is known that Bruce Talbert designed for Blythe & Sons.
Condition: Recently re-upholstered (some slight staining), missing rosette to top right finial, one hand made metal plate repair of back leg and repair to back stretcher.